A trip to Morocco’s Imperial Cities is a journey through history, culture, and architecture, as you explore the country’s most significant historical capitals. The four main Imperial Cities are Marrakech, Fes, Meknes, and Rabat. Here’s a suggested itinerary for a memorable trip to these fascinating cities:
Day 1: Arrival in Marrakech
- Arrive in Marrakech, one of Morocco’s most vibrant and famous cities. Check into your accommodation and take some time to rest after your journey.
- In the evening, head to Djemaa el-Fna, the main square of Marrakech, to experience the lively atmosphere with street performers, food stalls, and local vendors.
Day 2: Marrakech
- Explore the historical and architectural wonders of Marrakech, including the Bahia Palace, Saadian Tombs, and the Koutoubia Mosque.
- Visit the Jardin Majorelle, a beautifully landscaped garden owned by Yves Saint Laurent, featuring vibrant blue buildings and exotic plants.
- Optionally, you can visit the Yves Saint Laurent Museum to learn more about the iconic designer’s connection to Marrakech.
Day 3: Fes
- Travel to Fes, one of the oldest and most culturally rich cities in Morocco. Fes is known for its well-preserved medieval architecture and traditional crafts.
- Explore Fes el-Bali, the ancient walled part of the city and a UNESCO World Heritage site. Get lost in its maze-like streets, visit the tanneries, and discover the historic Al Quaraouiyine University.
Day 4: Fes
- Continue exploring Fes, visiting attractions like the Bou Inania Madrasa, Attarine Medersa, and the Dar Batha Museum.
- Don’t miss the panoramic view of the city from Borj Nord, a historic fortress.
Day 5: Meknes
- Travel to Meknes, another Imperial City located near Fes. Meknes is known for its impressive historical monuments, such as the Bab Mansour gate and the Mausoleum of Moulay Ismail.
Day 6: Volubilis & Rabat
- Take a day trip from Meknes to the ancient Roman ruins of Volubilis, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- After visiting Volubilis, continue to Rabat, the present-day capital of Morocco.
Day 7: Rabat
- Explore Rabat’s significant landmarks, including the Royal Palace, Hassan Tower, and the Chellah Necropolis.
- Visit the Kasbah of the Udayas and enjoy its picturesque blue-and-white streets.
Day 8: Return to Marrakech
- Travel back to Marrakech from Rabat, enjoying the scenery along the way.
Day 9: Departure
- Depart from Marrakech, concluding your Imperial Cities trip.
This itinerary allows you to experience the rich history, architectural splendors, and cultural diversity of Morocco’s Imperial Cities. Each city has its own unique charm and attractions, making this journey an unforgettable exploration of the country’s heritage.